2019 Porter Fleming Literary Competition (Ages 18+)
January 21 @ 8:00 am
An event every 2 weeks that begins at 8:00am on Monday, repeating until February 12, 2019
Submission Deadline: Feb. 12, 2019
Welcome to the 2019 Porter Fleming Literary Competition, now in its twenty-fifth year of recognizing outstanding writing and writers.
The competition honors the memory of Porter Fleming, one of Augusta, Georgia’s leading citizens and foremost philanthropists. The competition is administered, with the support of the Porter Fleming Foundation, by the Morris Museum of Art, the first museum in the country to focus on the art and artists of the American South.
Winners are invited to participate in a special literary program and awards ceremony on April 7, 2019, in the auditorium of the Morris Museum of Art. Awards will be mailed the following week to any winners not in attendance.
Literary competition categories:
• Fiction—Short stories only (2,500 words maximum)
• Nonfiction—Article or essay (2,500 words maximum)
• Poetry—(Up to three poems per entry, not to exceed five pages total per entry)
• One-Act Play—(Professional format required, limited to fifteen pages)
Awards (Cash awards in each category):
• First Place—$1,000
• Second Place—$500
• Third Place—$250
Entries must be postmarked by February 12, 2019. Entrants will be notified by e-mail when entries are received.
By entering, winners grant permission to the Morris Museum of Art for publication or public readings at the competition and awards ceremony.
Who can enter:
Writers, ages 18 and older, who reside in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.
• $15 per entry for fiction, nonfiction, one-act play, and poetry. (For poetry, one entry can include up to three poems.) Make checks (no money orders or cash) payable to the Morris Museum of Art.
Visit the Morris Museum’s Information Page HERE!